There are three main types of fertility treatment:-
- Medicines to assist fertility
- Surgical procedures
- Assisted conception.
Medicines to assist fertility
- Clomifene – this medicine helps to encourage ovulation (the monthly release of an egg) in women who do not ovulate regularly or who do not ovulate at all
- Metformin – this medication may be beneficial to women with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Gonadotrophins – these are medicines which contain gonadotrophins to help stimulate ovulation.
- Fallopian tube surgery – if your fallopian tubes have become blocked or scarred, you may benefit from surgery to help repair the tubes and make it easier for eggs to enter the fallopian tubes
- Laparoscopic surgery – laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery can be used to look at the internal organs. This type of surgery can be used to remove ovarian cysts and damaged fallopian tubes and remove endometriosis. This surgery is normally performed as a day case procedure so that you do not require to stay in hospital.
- Epididymal blockage – this type of surgery is used to repair the epididymus (a coil-like structure in the testicles which helps to store and transport sperm). Sometimes the epididymus becomes blocked which can stop the sperm from being ejaculated normally.
Assisted Conception Treatments
Please see information for each treatment on the navigation bar